Online portal and account - Provider FAQs
With an Invitae account you are able to:
- Search our online test catalog for genes and conditions of interest and complete your entire order online.
- Design and save your own custom orders.
- Quickly upload documents such as insurance paperwork, medical records, family history, and previous test results.
- Track the status of your order in real time.
- Communicate with Invitae staff and upload documents through our secure messaging exchange system.
- View and download your final report.
Yes, you can make changes to the types and frequency of automated notifications that you receive from Invitae.
1) Log into your portal account
2) Click Settings in the menu in the top right corner
3) Click on the Preferences tab
4) Use the checkboxes to set your notification preferences
5) Click Save
1) Log into your portal account or sign up for one.
2) Navigate to the Orders and reports page, click Start an order
3) Select the desired test and checkout.
4) Follow the instructions within the order form and fill out the required fields in each section.
5) Authorize by entering your initials and click Submit
Note that at any time, you can exit the ordering flow and save information in its current state by clicking Save as draft. Orders in progress will be saved for 14 days, after which point they will be deleted.
Why are we making changes?
Over the past few years, we have greatly expanded our test menu. To accommodate new product areas and keep ordering as quick and easy as possible, we've rolled out significant changes to the healthcare provider portal.
What are the changes?
- Things look different! The visual styling has been updated.
- Ordering is faster! The new ordering experience is more intuitive, requires fewer clicks and is faster (on average 10%).
- A new test selection launchpad where you can quickly re-order tests or saved custom panels.
- We’ve added support for new workflows, including a new streamlined workflow for ordering through collaborations and sponsored testing programs and the ability to ordered packaged NIPS, Carrier and/or Proactive tests in a single transaction.
We want your feedback!
We know change can be hard and we don’t want to disrupt your day-to-day workflows. To that end, we’ll give you the ability to revert to the old application for a period of time. Please note that certain orders, including orders placed through sponsored testing programs, family variant test orders, and re-requisitions, will be unable to revert to the old order application. We apologize in advance for this inconvenience.
We would love to hear your feedback on the new experience so we can continue to improve the ordering workflow. Please contact us to share your feedback with the team.
For the majority of Invitae's tests, you can opt to exclude certain genes, resulting in a custom order. On the test page, simply click any genes you wish to remove to deselect them and then click Add to order.
You can customize your order by combining multiple tests, removing genes from a panel, or selecting suggested add-on or preliminary-evidence genes.
To save a custom order:
1) Add the desired custom test(s) and/or additional gene(s) to your order cart.
2) After making your selections, select "Edit" from the mini cart view to be taken to the full page cart.
3) Select "Show genes" in the cart to see all selected genes and select the button "Save custom order for future use" under the list of genes.
4) Enter a name for your custom panel and select "Save".
To choose a custom order for test selection:
1) Start a new order.
2) In the Order Again section, select your custom order and add to order cart.
Yes. Invitae's re-requisition service is offered at no additional charge for diagnostic panel testing and provides the flexibility you need to order the right genes at the right pace.
View the re-requisition page to view more details on eligibility.
To order a re-requisition online:
1) Sign in to your account and view your order history page.
2) Select the order for which you would like to place a re-requisition.
3) If the order is eligible for a re-requisition, you will see an option on the order status page to “Add re-requisition.”
4) Select the panel you would like to order.
5) Authorize with your initials and click Complete order.
Alternatively, you can also specify your re-requisition request at the time you place your initial order. In the online portal or the paper requisition form, you will see an option to reflex to additional tests either when the initial test is negative* or regardless of the initial results.
Note: The initial test is considered negative in the event of no pathogenic, likely pathogenic, likely pathogenic low penetrance, or increased risk allele results.
You can cancel any orders that have not yet been submitted to Invitae.
From the order form:
1) Click Save as draft (located at the bottom of the form) and confirm that you would like to save the order
2) Navigate to the orders in progress list (not yet submitted to Invitae) on the Orders and reports page
3) Find the order you would like to cancel and click Cancel
4) Click Cancel this order to confirm
If you wish to cancel an order that is already being processed, please contact Client Services.
Yes, Invitae supports ordering on behalf of multiple organizations. To change your organization:
1) Within the order form on the Clinical team page, the name of the organization is listed on the left side of the page.
2) Click the dropdown and select an organization from the list.
If you don't see the right one listed, you can add new organizations in your Settings. Select Account Settings dropdown in the top right of the portal and click Settings. Once in Settings, navigate to the Organizations page to add a new organization to your profile.
For every order you place, you can specify who should be listed as the ordering provider on that order.
1) Navigate to the Clinical team section for an order that is in progress
2) From the “Ordering provider” dropdown menu, select the individual in your organization who should be listed as the ordering provider
If you do not see the correct person listed, click +Add new provider and enter their details. This individual will then be added to your practice, and you will be able to select their name from the dropdown menu for future orders.
While ordering, you will have the option to upload certain documents, such as pedigrees and insurance paperwork. We accept documents in the following formats: PDF, JPG/JPEG, PNG.
After you have placed an order, you also have the option to upload additional documents or send Invitae a secure message from the order status page.
Anyone on a clinical team may place an order on behalf of the ordering clinician. The name of the ordering clinician (as entered in Invitae’s portal or on the requisition form) will always be included on the final clinical report. In addition, we offer the option to also include the name of the person who places the order (if different from the ordering clinician).
By default, Invitae will include the name of the person who places the order. To change this, log in to Invitae’s portal, click on your name in the upper right, and then select Settings. Once there, you will see a Results tab where you can uncheck the box that says “Include my name on the clinical report.”
The Invitae portal has a built-in secure messaging system that can be used to communicate sensitive patient information related to a particular order.
1) On the Orders and reports page, navigate to the list of submitted orders and reports. Click on the order.
2) Click the Messages section on the right side of the screen.
3) Type your message and click Send message.
Results guides are optional handouts that you may choose to provide your patients who receive diagnostic and proactive testing with Invitae. Gene-specific guides provide information on what a positive result means for the patient and family, and guidance for medical management for associated disease.
The guides are designed to support your post-test counseling, and offer simple documentation that you can use as you discuss the results with your patient or that your patient might use to share their results with family members. The guides also aim to reinforce how important it is for a patient to work with you to understand their genetic testing results.
Results guides are appended to your reports by default. To change this setting, log in to Invitae’s portal, click on your name in the upper right, and then select Settings. Once there, navigate to the Results tab and toggle the slider next to “Include the results guide.” Note that the guides are only available for diagnostic and proactive panel reports. They are not appended to reports for exome or reproductive health tests.
The ordering medical professional has the ability to set auto-release preferences for when results will be released to the patient at the test and result type level. The patient's results will release according to the preferences set by the Order Owner.
Results can also be individually released to a patient on an order by order basis via the Orders and Reports dashboard.
If you would like to set result auto-release preferences for specific test and result types, here is how to do it:
1) Log in to Invitae’s portal, click on your name in the upper right, and then select Settings. Once there, navigate to the Results tab and locate the section “Return of results to patients.”
2) Click on the "Add rule" button in order to add your auto-release preference for a specific test and result type.
3) Select a Test Type from the dropdown, and then select a Result Type.
4) Then select your Release to Patient Portal auto-release preference.
5) To save the custom auto-release you just created, click on the dark green Save Changes button. Your release preferences have now been saved.
6) At this point, you can either add a new custom result release rule but clicking the Add Rule button or you can delete the rule you just made by clicking on the trash can icon next to the custom release rule card.
7) All test and result types that don't have a custom rule set will follow the default rule specified.
Patients who register on Invitae’s patient portal will be able to track the approximate status of their test, request results, and view results when they are released by the ordering provider.
The patient portal’s status tracker includes the following stages: order submitted, sample received, lab processing, analysis & interpretation, clinician review (once you receive results), and report released (once you release results to your patient).
Here is what the full timeline looks like:
The full timeline also has a Request Results button (when the stage reaches Clinician Review):
If you prefer for your patients to not track the details of the order moving through the lab, you can update your preferences in your Invitae provider portal and change the full timeline to a simplified timeline that does not include a Request Results button. Here is how:
Log into Invitae’s portal, click on your name in the upper right, and then select Settings.
Once there, you will see a Results tab. Click into the Results tab.
Scroll down and you’ll see a section that says “Patient Portal.”
Uncheck the preference that says “Display order status tracking in the patient portal.”
When “Display order status tracking in the patient portal” is unchecked and your patient logs into the patient portal, they will not see the progress of the specimen as it moves through the lab.
Instead, the status tracker will include three stages: order submitted, specimen received, and results released.
If this is checked off, however, they will see the full timeline including the “Clinician Review” stage.
Click “Save Changes” to save your updated preferences.
This is what your patient will see when “Display order status tracking in the patient portal” is unchecked:
Please note that a patient sees their test in the sample received stage until you release the results to the patient.
If you enter your patient's email address when submitting the order online, the patient will be prompted to create an account to track the status of the order. You can also share with the patient after the order has been placed:
1) Navigate to Orders and Reports and click on the share icon for the order you would like to share
2) Click on With your patient
3) Enter the patient’s email address and click Add patient email
Please note that this does not automatically release the results to the patient.
Patients have the option to request their results once available through the patient portal. You can choose to release the results immediately by navigating to the order in your portal account, or you can wait for up to 30 days.
Please note that in accordance with the CLIA Program and HIPAA Privacy Rule; Patients' Access to Test Reports, Invitae will release results to patients in the US within 30 days after they submit their request through the online portal.
Invitae releases results to patients only if the patient or the ordering medical professional requests it.
If you would like to release results to your patient(s), there are two ways to go about it:
Individual test release
To release results from a particular test, log into Invitae’s portal and click on the requisition from the Orders and reports page. Once on the order page, in the Patient section, click the link Invite patient to register and enter your patient’s email address. Then click the link Schedule results release to patient (which will appear in the Patient section after you add the patient’s email address).
In the pop-up box that appears, select when you would like the results released to your patient. If the results are still pending, you will be able to set release to 30, 60, or a custom number of days after you receive the patient’s results. If the results have posted, you can click the Release now button or select the pencil icon to set a date to release the results to your patient. Please note, an auto-release setting will not apply to a positive NIPS report until you have reviewed and confirmed the report release.
You will also be able to choose the “Only upon patient request” option, which means results will not be scheduled to auto-release; however, if your patient requests access to results, in accordance with CLIA Program and HIPAA Privacy Rule; Patients’ Access to Test Reports, Invitae will notify you of the request and release an electronic version of a patient’s test report within 30 days of their request. This applies to US residents. Laws differ by country and Invitae is committed to following country-specific disclosure requirements outside the US. Note that Invitae will not proactively inform your patient that their results are ready unless you release their results.
Global setting for result release
To globally update your settings so that all your patients can access their results in the patient portal a set number of days after you receive the results, log in to Invitae’s portal, click on your name in the upper right, and then select Settings. Once there, navigate to the Results tab and locate the Default option within the section “Return of results to patients.”
The default preference is “I will manually release results,” which means results will not be scheduled to auto-release; however, if your patient requests access to results, in accordance with CLIA Program and HIPAA Privacy Rule; Patients’ Access to Test Reports, Invitae will notify you of the request and release an electronic version of a patient’s test report within 30 days of their request. This applies to US residents. Laws differ by country and Invitae is committed to following country-specific disclosure requirements outside the US. Note that Invitae will not proactively inform your patient that their results are ready unless you release their results.
If desired, you can update this preference to 30, 60, or a custom number of days after you receive the patient’s results. This setting will apply to all orders you place, but you can always make adjustments at the order level as needed, as described above.
Invitae will occasionally release amended reports when, for example, new clinical studies cause the interpretation of your patient’s variant to change (e.g., from VUS to pathogenic). If this happens, you will be notified and can choose to release the amended results to your patient.
You can manage this on an individual test level and as a global setting in the same way as the initial clinical report.
To release results for a particular test, navigate to the requisition from your Orders and reports page and click the link “Schedule results release to patient.” You will see the amended report as an entry beneath the initial report, where you can click the Release now button or select the pencil icon to set a date to release the results to your patient.
To update your global setting, log in to Invitae’s portal, click on your name in the upper right, and then select Settings. Once there, you will see a Results tab where you will find an option: “Amended report preferences.” You can update the setting to 30, 60, or a custom number of days after you receive the amended results. The default preference for amended results is "60 days after I receive results."
Yes, you can share orders with members of your organization. You can also set up a default team if you want to automatically share each order with the same group of people.
When you are placing an order
1) Open the Clinical Team section
2) From the “Add colleague…” dropdown, you can select an existing member of your organization, or add someone new (they will receive an invitation to create a portal account).
3) Sharing will occur upon order submission.
After order submission
1) On the Orders & Reports page, click the share icon or use the checkboxes to select multiple orders at once and click Share.
2) From the “Add colleague…” dropdown, you can select an existing member of your organization, or add someone new (they will receive an invitation to create a portal account).
3) Click Share
Yes, you can save a colleague or group of colleagues as your default team, and they will be suggested for sharing when submitting future orders or sharing via the Orders & Reports page. You can change your default team at any time by adding or removing members and clicking Set as default team.