How genetic testing works
Ready to take the next step, but don’t know where to start?
There’s no need to leave the house for a test—getting your genetic information starts and stays within the comfort and safety of home.
And, if you have any questions along the way, our board-certified genetic counselors are more than happy to help.
- Request a test online and we'll connect you with a telehealth clinician who can order the right test for you.
- If you'd prefer, your doctor can order your test. This letter can help you start the conversation with your doctor
- You’ll receive a saliva collection kit in the mail
- Simply provide a saliva sample and mail it back to Invitae’s San Francisco laboratory
- We also offer cheek swab samples for children and others who need it
- If you started your order online, you’ll get a text and an email when your results are ready
- Log into the Invitae portal to see your results, including recommended next steps
- You can discuss the results with a genetic counselor and share them directly with your healthcare team to incorporate into your treatment plan
- If your doctor ordered the test, they will receive your results and you can work together to incorporate them into your health plan