How genetic testing works
Ready to take the next step, but don’t know where to start?
There’s no need to leave the house for a test—getting your genetic information starts and stays within the comfort and safety of home.
And, if you have any questions along the way, our board-certified genetic counselors are more than happy to help.
- Request a test online and we'll connect you with a telehealth clinician who can order the right test for you.
- If you'd prefer, your doctor can order your test. This letter can help you start the conversation with your doctor
- You’ll receive a saliva collection kit in the mail
- Simply provide a saliva sample and mail it back to Invitae’s San Francisco laboratory
- We also offer cheek swab samples for children and others who need it
- If you started your order online, you’ll get a text and an email when your results are ready
- Log into the Invitae portal to see your results, including recommended next steps
- You can discuss the results with a genetic counselor and share them directly with your healthcare team to incorporate into your treatment plan
- If your doctor ordered the test, they will receive your results and you can work together to incorporate them into your health plan
Your privacy is important to us
We take privacy seriously; one of our core principles is that patients own and control their genetic data. You can log in to your Invitae account at any time to set your preferences and control how your data is used.
Want to hear about research opportunities related to your results? We've got you. Prefer not? You can have that too.